Whether its your first move or you’re a seasoned veteran, moving can be a difficult and time-consuming process. One of the most stressful parts of moving can be packing all of your things properly for the big day. From getting everything to fit to the danger of damaging your stuff, being packed like a pro is essential to a successful move. Check out our top 6 pitfalls to avoid in packing.
- Using The Wrong Boxes: One of the most common moving mistakes is using the wrong boxes. No matter if you are moving locally, or long distance, it’s worth the time and money to buy the correct boxes for what you’re packing. Although, it’s tempting to re-use boxes from a previous move, that is the perfect way to end up damaging your things or having to deal with multiple labels that add confusion to your moving process.
- Packing Too Heavily: Especially when packing things like books that are compact, but also heavy, it’s important to evaluate the box as you pack. Not only will this ensure that your box can handle the load, but also that your body can. Although property damage is unfortunate, damage to your body can be much more costly and last longer so make sure to pack boxes in a way that preserves your most important asset: your health.
- Poor Labeling: When packing, it’s key that you come in with a plan and label specifically. Even if you’re an efficient mover and unpacker, the reality is that you’re going to need certain items before other ones. When labeling, avoid generic labels like “kitchen” in favor of more specific labels so that you know the exactly what is in each box and have access to your things when you need them. Few things are more frustrating than having to dig through multiple boxes for something trivial like a spatula.
- Packing Last Minute: No matter what phase of your move you’re in, giving yourself ample time is important to having a successful move. Packing is no different. Whether its a full house or merely an apartment packing always ends up taking more time than you anticipate. A great strategy is to start early and do it little by little, starting with rooms you will no longer need, so that the task doesn’t seem s daunting.
- Not Downsizing First: Before you start to pack, take the time to assess your current things and how often you use them. Look at your clothes and consider things like the climate you are moving to and the size of your new home. Donate or sell items that you know you don’t need. Give yourself a fresh start by not taking the clutter from your old home to your new one. Not only will this get you started off on the right foot, but it will save you on your moving expenses as well!
- Packing Yourself: Last, but not least, if it fits in your budget, using professionals is always the best option! At American Van Lines, we offer free estimates and professional service to make sure that you know what your packing and moving services will cost. Our team of professionals is here to make your move as stress-free as possible to make sure that all your belongings get to your new home as safely and efficiently as possible.