There is so much to remember when you’re moving. A moving checklist is a great tool to keep you on track with your many responsibilities during this very important time. Our moving checklist is complete with a 12-week schedule to help you stay one step ahead of your priorities.
12 weeks before you move, you should…
- Chose your mover and sign the acceptance note
- Sort through the basement, loft and garage
- Resolve what to do with prohibited items
- Make proper provision for pets
- Decide whether or not you are taking your car
10 weeks before your move, you should…
- Dispose of the things you don’t want to take
8 weeks before you move, you should…
- Start preparing a mailing list of people who need your change of address including banks, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions etc…
- Hire purchasing and rental companies
- Round up passports, birth/marriage certificates and other family documentation
- Check that electrical appliances will work in your new home
6 weeks before you move, you should…
- Separate your children’s favorite toys
- Make sure your pet’s vaccinations are up to date
- Arrange for mail to be forwarded
- Decide whether or not to buy any new household goods
4 weeks before you move, you should…
- Decide which clothes are traveling with you
- Start to dismantle climbing frames/garden furniture
- Make arrangements to start utility services at your new home
- Return library books
1 week before your move, you should…
- Defrost the refrigerator and freezer
- Plan simple meals for moving day to avoid using appliances
- Separate luggage items you need for personal travel
- Clean garden tools, bicycles, and any other gardening equipment
- Empty the tanks of powered tools such as lawn mowers.
- Ensure that you have enough medication for at least two weeks, and make certain you have copies of any necessary prescriptions you will need.
- Collect traveler’s checks or local currency.
- Arrange for someone to look after the children on moving day.