Are you a do-it-yourselfer looking for moving assistance? Read through this section and get some great moving tips from the pros at American Van Lines. Moving can get chaotic, but following some small but effective moving tips will reduce the chaos for a smooth transition to your new destination.
EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Obtain a floor plan of your new residence and decide what household goods you want to keep.
- Begin an inventory of all household goods.
- Seek estimates from several moving companies. Click here for a free quote
- Contact your insurance agent and ask them about your homeowners or rental policy to determine whether your possessions are covered when moving.
- Establish a file for all moving papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer child(ren)’s school records.
- Choose a mover.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Start searching for good healthcare professionals in your new location.
- Complete a change of address form at your local post office or online at moversguide.usps.com
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it – insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- For self moves, reserve a truck or trailer. Obtain necessary moving supplies, boxes, twine, labels, etc.
- Start packing!!
- If your mover is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair or cleaning as needed.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you will need at your new location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc.
- Make travel plans and arrange hotel stays or other necessary reservations.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable, water, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home.
- Ready car registration and insurance records for transfer.
- Notify the State Motor Vehicle Bureau of your new address.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
- If necessary, reserve apartment elevator for pickup and/or delivery dates.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants. (Some movers will not move plants.)
- Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Transfer all bank accounts.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy near your new location.
- Buy traveler’s checks.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Have mover pack your goods (unless doing it yourself).
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewelry, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Accompany the driver to inventory your household goods.
- Complete information on bill of lading and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- Make sure you have your copies of the bill of lading and inventory.
- Keep the bill of lading until your possessions are delivered, the charges are paid, and any claims are settled.
- Before the van leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Give the driver directions to your new home.
- Notify the driver and the van line where you can be reached during the move.
- Be on hand to answer any questions and give directions.
- You must pay the driver before your goods can be unloaded. This is a Federal requirement for interstate moves.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.
- Check carefully for any damaged or missing items.
- Note on the inventory any damaged boxes or obvious damage to unboxed items before you sign anything.